2.08.2006

Drew's Journey

I grew up in a military family and as a result our family moved frequently. To be exact, we were relocated ten times in eighteen years and so my family never became significantly involved in the life of a local church. Because of this, I grew up in an environment where I was never consistently exposed to the truth claims of Christ.
In the summer before my tenth-grade year, my family was moved by the Army for the final time to Huntsville, Alabama. Since this was our last destination, my parents decided it was time to do “the right thing” and accepted a coworker’s invitation to Willowbrook Baptist Church. After a few weeks of attending Willowbrook and hearing the Gospel consistently taught, I finally understood how Jesus’ message of love and forgiveness applied to my life. Furthermore, I learned that it actually forced me to make a decision about how I wanted to live my life. Looking back on this time, it is clear that God was drawing me to Himself. This unfolded immediately before my sixteenth birthday in October of 1997.

After coming to Christ during my sophomore year of high school, I struggled during my first years as a believer. My senior year was a major turning point in my life, where God used a significant relationship with my youth pastor to draw me away from myself and to begin ministering to others. Even at this time, I did not consider vocational ministry as something that lay in the path ahead, but rather a “spiritual hobby.”

God began to call me to vocational ministry during my time at Auburn University. I joined a fraternity and as the sole believer in the chapter, it quickly became my ministry. Through ministering in the context of relationships, God gave me a passion for sharing and living Christ in the small things with people. This period was also challenging for me spiritually, but I learned how to love and get outside of my Christian bubble and engage friends who do not believe in a respectful, kind manner.

Since embracing Reformed theology and becoming a Presbyterian during my first year of seminary, I have developed a passion for the primacy of the local church in all areas of ministry. (Not that you have to be Presby/Reformed to have this passion--this was simply my experience). Recently I have begun an internship with my church and am now serving in a variety of areas, including gaining experience in teaching and preaching the Bible. It is my hope that this time of preparation and learning will be used mightily by God to refine and shape me into a man He is willing to use for His glory.
As far as the future is concerned, you may know more than I do! Collegiate ministry has been brought up by others recently, and going on staff with a church is attractive, as well. In the long-term, perhaps God will open up some doors for church planting. Currently I don't have anything concrete, and therefore I'll just concentrate on getting through Dr. Schemm's weekly quizzes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

good story

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home