2.13.2006

Pride & The Fear of Man

Here is something that God has taught me over the past twenty-four hours: A prideful heart will perpetually be gripped by the fear of man.

The background for this revelation was the two Bible studies I led yesterday. The first was middle school Sunday School and the second was an adult small group. At the close of each session, I felt disappointed, guilty, and insecure because of the disparity between my own expectations for my teaching ability and its actual performance. My heart was gripped by fear of being "discovered" as less than the great leader, teacher, and preacher I obviously am convinced that I am, or at least conclude that I will be. Fear of rejection by middle schoolers and later adults (who in truth I care more about impressing) struck a chord within me because it reveals that my heart is ruled by pride!

The gospel offers the only escape from this vicious cycle. John Stott, writing in The Cross of Christ, remarks, "The proud human heart is there revealed. We insist on paying for what we have done. We cannot stand the humiliation of acknowledging our bankruptcy and allowing somebody else to pay for us." (162) The Gospel teaches me one thing: In my own strength lies no power for any everlasting good. That same Gospel is also a beacon to radical self-renouncement, as demonstrated in II Cor. 12:9, in which God asserts that "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." I cannot allow myself to stop reading this passage here, however, for Paul's reaction is crucial to understanding this radical self-renouncement. "Therefore," he writes, "I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses [!], so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I hope you guys learn what I did before you have to crash. Pride and fear are cruel masters, but the Gospel is freedom!

Soli Deo Gloria

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

One thing I try to keep in mind is that God has called us to be faithful. Our success in His eyes is if we have been faithful to preach and teach the Word, minister to others, and generally live our lives for Him. Then, our Lord will be pleased and that is all that really matters.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Michael D. Estes said...

Drew, this passage has been an encouragement to me lately. Personally, I tend to be a little too "thin-skinned." Listen to Paul's words here and let them wash over you.

1 Corinthians 4:1-4:
"Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord."

A challenge and a comfort.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

'Pride and fear are cruel masters, but the Gospel is freedom!'

Amen!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home