2.21.2006

Excursus: Martin Luther on Preaching


This commentary on preaching is taken from Luther's The Freedom of a Christian (1520). The context is discussing the appropriate relationship between faith and good deeds.

I believe that it has now become clear that it is not enough or in any sense Christian to preach the works, life, and words of Christ as historical facts, as if the knowledge of these would suffice for the conduct of life; yet this is the fashion among those who must today be regarded as the best of preachers...Rather ought Christ to be preached to the end that faith in him may be established that he may not only be Christ, but be Christ for you and me, and that what is said of him and is denoted in his name may be effectual in us.

I know that most of us will be teaching or preaching in the next few weeks. As I keep this in mind for my preparation, my prayer is that God will impress this always on all of our hearts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Amen.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home