2.22.2006

Drew's Seminary Experience

You asked for it, you've got it.
What is the best thing about seminary education?
The great worth of theological education is that when it is done rightly it should fuel and inform worship for the good of Christ's church. That's my thesis. I have not been disappointed at Southeastern in this regard; each class and the faculty is consciously church-focused and ministry driven. Flowing out of that, I have found that there is great benefit in the process because the nature of theology breeds conflict (by this I mean godly discussion and debate). I've always found a humorous analogy in the animal kingdom that relates to we young seminarians. When two young bucks (male deer) first begin growing their antlers, they often spar with one another. I guess this is to "get the feel of them." Seminarians, armed with the fiersome antlers of knowledge, spar with one another continually, testing out new doctrines and theological approaches to "get the feel of theology." If this is done with a spirit that recognizes we have much to learn from one another, this is healthy and wholesome. Sometimes I do fear (and fall into this trap) that a significant amount of debate on campus is pride-driven. Who is the greatest emerging theologue? Who can outsmart whom? Just an observation.
Where, in your opinion, is the system lacking?
I do have a couple of soapboxes about seminary education, both in general and more specifically at Southeastern. First, more specific to Southeastern. The class sizes are far too large and I believe that this hampers effective theological education because it forces formal lecture to be the pedagogical method of choice. Dialogue and variety have been shown to be effective teaching tools, but the sheer amount of students in most SEBTS classes stifles this. Not to advocate one seminary over another, but my class this winter term at RTS-Charlotte had 25 students, and I was informed that this was about average. I found this to be a refreshing experience.
My second concern is that even though seminary church-focused and ministry-driven, there is a real disconnect between the churches and the seminary with regard to how young aspiring pastors are trained. Many local churches around here are simply swarming with seminary families, and there is no real way of mentoring these young men and women. A focused plan from the seminary and the churches to work hand-in-hand to train not only the minds but also the hearts and hands of the students would, in my opinion, be of great value for the Kingdom. As a further plug, I believe that God has taught me far more about humility through the mentorship of my pastor than I have in the classroom, no matter how godly my professor is.
How has God used seminary in your life to teach you more about Him?
God has shown me the enormity of Himself in seminary. It did not take me long to discover through my classes that His truth is much more than I ever gave Him credit for. Some parts of the Bible are simply difficult, and I am learninng to bow in humility before His incomprehensibility at times. Deuteronomy 29:29 is a great reminder of this.
If you could start seminary all over again (uggh...that's an unpleasant thought), what would you do differently?
This is a difficult question to answer, because I have to realize that God's providence is what has brought me here and what keeps me here. It's tempting so often to dream about what it would have been like to be at a seminary that would matches my theology more closely, but God has brought me (and kept me) here for a reason, as my pastor often has to point out to me. So, even though I am the one who proposed this question, I decline to answer it. Sorry gentlemen.

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Several good comments:

1) Theology cannot be done in a vaccum. (sp?) Part of good theology is talking about aspects of belief and if our reason is leading us down a wrong path, a good 'rubbing match' will put things back into perspective. Although, I agree, that a lot of discussion is pride-centered and morphs into an "I'm right, you're wrong," competition.

2) The class sizes are too large but Southeastern's endowmment does not match its enrollment (Thanks to the 40 years or so of liberalism that ruled the school. Thus the old alumni do not donate to the school since it has turned a 180). The school struggles to pay the most distinguished professors the money they are due and most of the profs make less then a youth minister at a mid-sized church. The school simply cant afford to hire anymore profs. But all in all, it would be ideal to have smaller classes.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

by the way, the intention behind that post was to state that Drew made 'several good comments,' and not me. I was just 'commenting' on his good comments. Got that? Good - I don't. I've got nuthin.'

8:22 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

Good stuff Drew!

Sorry about my hiatus, I've moved and was without internet for a while. But I'm back online now, and I'll try to get my response up tomorrow morning.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Michael D. Estes said...

Drew,

Your best comment came with your discussion on the integration of the local church and the seminary. I have been frustrated at the lack of opportunity to serve the church (with the exception of a small contributions here and there). Wake Crossroads is a perfect example. How can I serve when 100 other guys want to do the same things I want to do. Oh well.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Charlie Wallace said...

Over-saturation.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

Michael,

I feel your pain man. In fact, I really think that God has been convicting me that I'm not supposed to just sit and wait until I get the PhD to start working for him. So I've been praying and seeking ways that I can actually minister and not just be ministered to.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home